Biyernes, Mayo 23, 2014

Summer Book List #1: Everyday by David Levithan


Here's just a short short short review. There are a bit of spoilers inside though I don't say how it ends.

“Everyday I am someone else. I am myself- I know I am myself- but I am also someone else. It has always been like this.”

Most touching part of the story: when A was in a body of a girl who was planning to commit suicide and A chose to save her by asking help from the girl’s father. The father who was usually stoic and “cold” broke when he saw the girl’s journal which contained tons of ways to kill herself and a deadline for her life. As the girl went to sleep, the father stayed guard by the door, hanging onto her stirring noises just to make sure that she was alive.

I loved this story for many different factors. First, I appreciated the way it was phrased. It was easy to read, to digest and even the voice in my head it created sounded great. Second, the characters that this book featured were of the minority. In other words, they are the people you wouldn’t expect to be main characters of the typical YA stories. Most were troubled and disabled people. That was a strength of the book – it gave other people voices. Third, the story provided a different view of life. When you know that everything can change instantly, you flesh out the things that matter more. David was able to point out so many universal truths that were under our noses all along.
I’m looking for answers just like A is and a sequel might help (though it can also destroy the beauty of the first book.) I want A to meet other shifters and discover something big… not necessarily a way to stay but maybe the reason why they shift.

Head cannon: Shifters were souls without a body. They used to have a body… they were born with a body but something happen and they lost it. What if they could get it back?

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento