Biyernes, Hunyo 13, 2014

Summer Book List #5: Legend by Marie Lu

This is a book recommended by one of my besties and she had so much feels reading it that I was intrigued.

Book cover

“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. -Day” 
“I don't know if anyone's ever told you this", he begins. He doesn't blush, and his eyes don't dart away. Instead I find myself staring into a pair of oceans - one perfect, the other blemished by that tiny ripple. "You're very attractive." I've been complimented on my appearance before. But never in his tone of voice. Of all the things he's said, I don't know why this catches me off guard. But it startles me so much that without thinking I blurt out, "I could say the same about you." I pause. "In case you didn't know." A slow grin spreads across his face. "Oh, trust me. I know.”
“The memory fades, and I’m left hanging on to the ghosts of his
words.” 
“The boy who walks in the light” 


Description: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.  From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills. 

Favorite part: I won't forget when Day first saw June and he was so bold in admitting that she's the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. And of course, I loved their first kiss and the moments that led to that. Day is firm in what he feels for June but his being straight-forward about it didn't seem cocky to me. It was like he knew what he wanted and he was willing to fight for it.

On the characters: Day and June are prodigies from different worlds. Day is a criminal while June is a top-notch soldier. What's great about them is the way they think. They pay attention to details and they understand what these details could mean. Their brains are problem-solving mechanisms. I actually fell in love with the way they think!
Their bodies also respond to extreme limits so they could continue their missions.
But despite all these, they're not perfect. And that's more amazing! Behind their reputations and the things they have to do, they're really just a boy and a girl. They have weaknesses and emotions.

On the plot: I didn't expect the first pages to reel me in. Tiffany and I had different tastes in books so I was expecting the story to be set in a darker world.
The world was dark and post-apocalyptic, yes, but it was the kind that I wanted. It gave me a THG feel though it was different. There was the strict Republic government and a rebel that the people support but June's and the Colonies' presence made it unique.

Personally, this is my favorite book in the trilogy. I was fascinated with how Lu created the concept of the Republic. I was intrigued by Day and how he became who he was and how he achieved impossible feats. I loved the simple actions in this book and the mysteries it held. I loved the conflicts it built which had bigger consequences that appeared in the other two books.

(Idk how to put GIFS here so that's it for now)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento