Miyerkules, Hunyo 11, 2014

Summer Book List #4: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”
“If my love were an ocean,
there would be no more land.
If my love were a desert,
you would see only sand.
If my love were a star-
late at night, only light.
And if my love could grow wings,
I'd be soaring in flight.”
“ If you hear a song that makes you cry and you don't want to cry anymore, you don't listen to that song anymore. But you can't get away from yourself. You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head.”
“His door is closed behind me. It's staying closed.
He's letting me go.
I think I've made myself very clear, but no ones stepping forward to stop me.
A lot of you cared, just not enough. And that...that is what i needed to find out.
And I did find out.
And I'm sorry.” 

It wasn't epic for me but it did give me an insight different to suicide.

The novel showed me how being suicidal really is, before, during and after. It wasn't as dark as I expected. It just featured how a beautiful, smart and critical person was broken by the people who weren't responsible. More than anything, it was sad. It also showed me that killing yourself, in the end, is your choice. Hannah, the main character, gave up her fight (because she didn't have anything to fight for and no one was fighting for her) and I couldn't exactly blame her. It's easy to tell someone to just relay on himself/herself but one can only do that for so long. But I wish she just asked help from Clay because he could and would fight for her. Haaaaay.

Main lesson: we are dominos. Our actions affect other people so we should be responsible for them.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento