Biyernes, Hunyo 20, 2014

Summer Book List #6: Prodigy by Marie Lu

Book cover

“The first time I saw you, when you stepped into that Skiz ring against Kaede, I thought you were the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. I could've watched you forever. The first time I kiss you..." That memory overpowers me now, taking me by surprise. I remember every last detail of it, almost enough to push away the lingering images of the Elector pulling June to him. "Well, that might as well have been my first kiss ever.” 

“My heart is ripped open, shredded, leaking blood. I can't let him leave like this. We've been through to much to turn into strangers.” 

Description: Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

Best part of the book: when it shook everything I believed in. I love books who can shock me like that. And of course, I loved how the story started - them pretending to be drunk in Vegas and having a simple sign (touching of the forehead) which later became important for the progress of the story. Also, I love how they fell in love and held on to each other even if they were far away. It was beautiful how they were so sure that they couldn't bear losing each other when everything else was a blur. And yes, I love how Lu ended this book even if it broke me in pieces.

On the characters: This is where I appreciated Kaede and Tess more and where June and Day were humanized. I was still cautious about Anden (and for some reason, I can see Ansel Elgort playing him).
On the plot: It did not feel like a transitional book at all. Middle books tend to be like that but Lu did a great job. The book was a full story.

I read this book in public (during the LVX orientation) but it managed to pull me into its own world. And when it ended, I couldn't stop myself from reading and yearning for more.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento