Biyernes, Hunyo 20, 2014

Summer Book List #7: Champion by Marie Lu

“Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as hard as I can. I can promise you that.” 
“I’ve been searching a long time for something I think I lost.I felt like I found something when I saw you back there.” 
“You drive me insane June. You're the scariest, most clever, bravest person I know, and sometimes I can't catch my breath because I'm trying so hard to keep up. There will never be another like you. You realize that, don't you? Billions of people will come and go in this world, but there will never be another like you.” 
“It hurts every day, the absence of someone who was once there.”
“Please don't take him away from this world. Please don't let him die here in my arms, not after everything we've been through together, not after You've taken so many others. Please, I beg You, let him live. I am willing to sacrifice anything to make this happen- I'm willing to do anything You ask. Maybe you'll laugh at me for such a naive promise, but I mean it in earnest, and I don't care if it makes no sense or seems impossible. Let him live. Please. I can't bear this a second time. Tell me there is still good in this world. Tell me there is still hope for all of us.” 



Description: June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

Best part of the story: Them falling in love. More in love.

On the plot: It went well, even the fast forwarded part. It felt right that June gave Anden a chance. Everything made sense. But unfortunately, I was able to predict the ending from the moment Day forgot their companion's name. And let me tell you this, amnesia's were the plot twists that I detest the most. I know it was just right given Day's condition. It was a consolation prize for him not dying. But amnesia makes everything seem like nothing. It's like you've slept through the storm and when you woke up, everything was calm again. But clearly, a lot has changed and you can pinpoint what. Making Day forget things killed a part of who he was. (And still, despite my protests, I think it ended just right.) *sigh* And they did meet on the street as just a girl and just a boy. And I hope things go uphill from there.

On the characters: One reason why this isn't my favorite book in the series is because they crushed the strength I saw in June and Day. It humanized them and showed the beauty of their vulnerability, yes but I missed the "hero" in them. They did shine in the end because of their character but... I don't know. Maybe it hurt me every time they were hurt. Now that I think of it, in this book, their minds were as messed up as Katniss' and Peeta's in Mockingjay.

What else can I say? Ahhhh. I'm reliving my Champion feels at the moment. I think I may need to retract to myself.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento