Miyerkules, Abril 30, 2014

Grass-cutting and standing up for what you believe in

I know that this is unfair but I'm nicer to my brother compared to my other siblings.


I've always seen him as "the little boy that cries when I leave for school". I'm always protective of him and often kinder when I reprimand him. And despite his lapses, I still choose to see the good in him because I've always been one of his avid fans. Whatever he does, I would try to understand because I know that my brother is a good man and he has his own set of principles to guide his life.

So one day, when I thought that he needed reinforcement from me, I helped him. Helping him in a way that I had to apprehend a decision from the higher-ups.

Despite the obvious negative consequences of that "help," I choose to look at the situation in a positive light: a sister supporting her brother; a girl standing up for what she believes in. I still didn't fully realize my mistake until I was asked to cover for his chore (which was some sort of punishment on my part.) Since I helped him, he wouldn't go to finish grass-cutting so I had to do it. He promised that he'll come down to take over after one game so I'd only have to cover for him until then.

And again, I believed him. I went out to do his chore despite my discomfort with working outside. And the pain on my arms and lower back that was heightened as I did it.

As I worked and waited, I started to doubt him. Was it worth it anymore? Was he worth it?

After a few minutes, he did come down to continue it and I was relieved because at least he didn't leave me there.

My brother, he has his moments. He can be really sweet then insensitive. But the things is, though I love him to bits, I can't tolerate his insensitivity anymore because it's affecting the family.

For years, me, Ish and Kate have been making up for all the work he thought he had the luxury of not doing. We literally manned up for him. We were always understanding him and going a whole new direction for him. We sacrificed a little bit more from our share because he couldn't. We matured faster because he wouldn't. And now, maybe it's time for him to see that.

I will support him with all my heart but I want him to prove to me that he is worth my support. He has to know that life isn't about free-loading.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento